One of the hearty breakfast that I love especially on the weekends when you actually have more time to prepare food is porridge. Typically, you would make porridge with oats and milk or water, but in this recipe, we are making the asian style porridge which required rice and water or chicken stock. This asian style porridge takes a little longer to cook as compared to the regular oats and milk.
Porridge is usually served as a light meal such as breakfast. This porridge was made from boiling rice in water or chicken stock. The porridge is left simmer in the stock/ water until it becomes a creamy texture. We often have porridge with Chinese cruller, it adds a little crunch to the creaminess of the porridge.
- 1/2 cup of diced chicken breast
- 1/2 cup or white jasmine rice
- 2 cups of chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp of diced fresh ginger
- 1 peeled century eggs
- pinch of salt and ground white pepper
- Rinsed the white jasmine rice and while bringing the chicken stock to a boil in a medium pot. ( you will need a big enough pot to hold all the ingredients while not exceeding two thirds of the pot’s volume.)
- Once the chicken stock it boiling, uncover the pot, add in the jasmine rice. When the rice and the stock started boiling, turn down the heat to low, add in the diced ginger and chicken breast.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent the ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Season with a little salt and ground white pepper before serving.
This is a dish that you should serve it hot, it tastes a lot better when it’s hot. Enjoy your breakfast on a cold Sunday.