Basil is my all time favorite herb, my can’t live without herb. Basil’s aroma simply exudes summer. I love basil on the Caprese salads, or add it into any Thai or Vietnamese dish. Oh did I mention I also love chopped basil on my pizza? My boyfriend and I have been buying fresh basil leaves from the grocery stores, they can get pricey. We are currently in a process of getting a planter so that I can grow some basil plant in my back deck.
Here is another recipe from the Thai cuisine. Basil chicken fried rice is not your typical Thai dish, it’s a little different from the basic basil chicken. I figured since we are always in a hurry, why not just combined basil chicken and fried rice?
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- 1 large chicken breast
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 3 tbsp of fish sauce
- a pinch of chili flakes
- soy sauce to taste
- lemon or lime juice
- your choice of cooking oil ( I use extra virgin olive oil)
- Wash and dice the chicken breast into small prices, alternatively, you can buy ground chicken breast from the grocery.
- Heat up your pan and add 2 tablespoons oil to the pan, or enough to cover about 3/4 of your pan. Once your pan is heated add chicken and stir.
- Cook your chicken until they start to brown, add a tablespoon of fish sauce and some chili flakes while stirring.
- Once your chicken is cooked through and browned, add your basil, stir until basil becomes sott and starts to wrinkle, add fish sauce and chili flakes to taste.
- Add your cooked white rice to the chicken and basil, stir well, crack your eggs and add them to the pan and stir well, evenly distributing egg, rice, chicken, and basil throughout the pan.
- Once everything is evenly distrubed in the pan, you can add lemon and lime juice, soy sauce, or your choice of seasonings to taste.
- Turn off your heat, and serve.